|As I heard from many moms,read it on blogs and experience myself, the major concern that largely looms on mother's mind is how to make the baby sleep longer in the day as well as in the night.Here are some of the ways I experimented with and got lucky. Before furthering our discussion first of all remember that this is surely possible and be ready to make the change.|
Making baby sleep longer in the day:
You need to do it because that's the only time which you get for yourself and completing all the household chores.
Pointing out some ways to achieve this:
Tip: If the child wakes up cranky,crying, you can put him back to sleep easily with little caressing(chances are that he woke up because of some disturbance).
- Create an ambiance. Pull down the curtains,lower down any music or tv if watching. Basically you are preparing the child for the sleep.He will soon start recognizing these signals.
- Babies after taking shower feel hungry and sleepy. Use this time to induce a good sleep and its sure shot that the baby will sleep not less than 2 hours at all and sometimes even more.Make this time as peaceful as possible.
- Some experts also say that if baby takes ,say,3 naps a day, reduce them to 2 and he will sleep longer.
Making baby sleep longer in the night:
Obviously you would want your baby to sleep through the night without interruptions so that you can have a good sleep. It is said that after 6 months of age the baby is capable to make through the night without feeds but I still see mothers of toddlers cribbing about sleepless night.
Listing down some tried and tested ways which worked for my baby who is 8 months of age and makes through the night:
Tip: Pat the child on his back if he is disturbed in his sleep and if possible stay near him until he goes back to sleep if he gets up(he will sleep with a sense of security and less likely to wake up).
- As the experts say,form a bed time routine. Make sure you follow it every night and try stick to it. Remember the routine should not be too long because if it is,it will be tiring for you and will also divert the bay's attention from sleeping to other things.
- Make the baby eat something good(in other words a little heavy) an hour before giving him night feed.
- I have seen that more the babies are happy and peaceful during the day,the better they sleep during the night.If a child is crying or unhappy during the daytime,most likely he will wake up again and again in the night.
- He may wake up at night to pee,take him to pee and put him back to sleep,he will sleep without making any fuss.
- If the baby is breastfed,he may cry for milk just to fall back to sleep but you have to be strong enough to set a pattern.Don't give milk unless until you are sure that he is hungry.
- Be flexible. Its not always possible that babies will follow your guidelines,he may be having some problem to go back to sleep which sometimes happens with us adults as well. Bear with it.
Inducing new sleep patterns or routines will be difficult for your child and for you as well so be patient. Keep your ears ready and heart strong to hear out his cries.Soon he will fall into this pattern.
Bravo,you have taken a step towards introducing good sleeping habits in your child.
Labels: baby sleep, make baby sleep longer, sleep, sleeping habit