Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address to subscribe:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Add to Technorati Favorites



Contact me


Thursday, September 4, 2008
Workings Moms get well deserved break
I read an article in the newspaper today regarding government panel proposing more maternity leave. Conventionally in India,the maternity leave period is three months which I believe is very less time. In three months,neither your baby is big enough to be left with someone else other than the mother nor as a mother you are fully cuperated.

It came as a relief when i read this news item because the panel has now propsed a maternity leave upto the period of 6 months and the leave that can be availed in continuation has been raised to two years. The panel has also recommended a flexible child care leave system and a disability allowance which the government has accepted. I must say that the government is now looking forward to a better future and a developed nation.

Although I could not take all these benefits for my first child and opted to leave the job, yet it is a very welcome decision for all the mothers who yearn for a career and growing up their kids side by side but have to choose one. For me,it was a consious decision,but had I have the opportunity to extend my leave even further,I would have done that and haven't left the job.
I don't know about the laws in other countries but hope that they are mother friendly and allow the children to grow in a healthier,nurtured environment.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

hi there. thanks for dropping by my blog.

September 4, 2008 at 4:10 PM  

Wow... 3 mths maternity leave n now they're proposing for 6 mths? That's really great! Here in M'sia, it's oni 2 mths.

September 4, 2008 at 5:32 PM  

Hi Jaanvi,

Are you a SAHM now?

My country is only only given 2 months of maternity leaves.

I have been thinking to be a SAHM since my first born. Until now, my 2nd child is already 2 yo, I m still at work. Sigh....

Sheoh Yan
sheohyan.blogspot.com

September 5, 2008 at 7:24 AM  

Oh....indeed that is good news. In my org, we are given 4 months maternity. But even then when I brought him to a babysitter, his health began to deteriorate!

Sigh....

In Msia, most corporations only give 2 months maternity leave. Sad.

September 5, 2008 at 9:31 AM  

Hi Slavemom,Ann
Just 2 months,that's really sad...

Ya sheoh yan
I am a SAHM now and probably will be for another year or so...
Are u enjoying being at work?

September 5, 2008 at 5:42 PM  

wow! some company only gv 1 month...but it's so good in india that they are proposing up to 6 mths! wow!
HV A GREAT WEEKEND!

September 7, 2008 at 1:28 PM  

Hi Jaanvi, here mothers get 1 year off...plus a nurse will come every week or so check up on the baby, plus subject to your salary, you get up to $1200 a year, 'baby money' from the government.
Incidentally, father also can get time off.
Pity my wife past that milestone, ha ha.
Keep well, Jaanvi,Lee.

September 7, 2008 at 10:07 PM  

Jaanvi,

I'm not enjoying my work at all. I only enjoyed the moment when I spent with my salary.

The world is not so ideal, and life is tough, so, it is not so easy for me to give up my job yet. Let time tells....

Sheoh Yan

September 8, 2008 at 5:58 AM  

Ya sheoh yan
I can understand.There are so many things that need to be taken into consideration before leaving a job. The main thing is the feeling to brought up your kids with love and affection and that does not have to do anything with job or no job.. :)

Hi Lee
That's really amazing... Government is quiet generous there...

September 8, 2008 at 11:07 AM  

i think 3 months is better than us oh

September 11, 2008 at 6:48 AM  

well over this part of the world, the government only values working moms it seems...i wrote a couple of posts on this topic classified under current affairs...very sad indeed, how sahm are neglected.

September 11, 2008 at 7:04 AM  

have a nice weekend..

September 12, 2008 at 11:37 AM  

3 months is very good.
in malaysia, its 2 months. for me, i got 3 months. the 3rd month was all my accumulated leave :(

September 13, 2008 at 7:13 PM  

Sigh! I only got two mths maternity leave for my 1st and 2nd child. For my 3rd and 4th child, it was zero, zilch, nothing! When i had my 3rd child in 2000, Singapore's maternity leave scheme for 3rd child was not implemented yet. When I had my 4th child, the 3rd child was in force, but not for the 4th. What to do? I was a woman ahead of my time.

For my 3rd and 4th child, I ended up exhausting my 21 days annual leave and went back to work right after 1 month of giving birth. It was very, very tough!

September 23, 2008 at 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home