Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address to subscribe:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Add to Technorati Favorites



Contact me


Thursday, December 4, 2008
Travelling with the child
Travelling with an infant is not easy but they say its easier than a toddler and I absolutely agree.I have travelled with my son when he was just few weeks old and I used to think it was tough till this journey happened. I was travelling alone with my one year old and he kept me completely on tenterhooks all the time.

As you all know,we were relocating from our place ,so my hubby went earlier than me to the new location to look for a home to move in.Although it was a terrifying idea yet I decided to join him later when the house is finalised.I spent all the time literally counting each and every minute. As soon as he said yes,I heaved a sigh of relief,immediately called the packers and got the entire house packed and moved.It was such a cumbersome job(and they say packers move not only house but also tension). Actually the problem was that my son suddenly turned so clingy,he was practically inseparable from me. May be,he was not happy with the idea of his house being ransacked by some strangers.There was no choice but to carry him all day long and do all the chores along with keeping an eye on the people working in my house.The day finally ended with all the stuff packed and me exhausted to my last breath.Next morning the whole stuff was loaded and moved and I was happy that I will be soon on my way to be with my husband.

It was now time for both of us to leave, both me and my son had a long journey ahead of us. I planned each and every aspect of journey so that there are no last minute jitters but I guess nothing goes as planned with a kid around. I found myself altering plans,panicking,rather having all the last minute thoughts,jumbling around and what not.I had to go by train for some distance and then take a flight.When about an hour of train's journey was left,my son suddenly turned erratic.Nothing was working on him,he didn't wanted milk,no music, no toy,nothing.These things worked earlier through the journey but now he was not falling for any of these baits.He was continously crying,trying to get away and making me feel miserable. Then i realised that he wanted what we always crave for so much.... independence,independence from my arms ,from all the inhibtions he was having,he wanted to be free. But I couldn't do that ,how could i just leave him all by himself?? Just then(to my rescue),seat next to mine got vacant,I made him sit there and gave him his much needed freedom. And there he was,with his charming smile as if nothing has happened.

Flight I thought would be easier.Firstly,because the run was of only 2 hours and secondly,the airport staff is always very supportive.I checked in ,went through security check, a staff member was with me throughout taking my luggage and helping me around so that I face no problem. I boarded the flight and my son was happy.I think the idea of traveling in the plane got to him :)(though he was travelling for the second time,first when he was just 40 days old :)) but you know kids are kids. Just an hour passed and he was again looking for a breather. The same idea of putting him in vacant seat couldn't work here because no seat was vacant and it won't be as well. I had to look for some new ideas before his controlled cries turned in to screaming. I made him even look out of the window but to no avail. His sleep time was just close by so I thought to myself," I just have to distract him with something, make milk, give it to him and make him sleep. Not a big deal,Is it"! Ohh,Believe me,I was struggling. The lady sitting next to me was reading a book. Hey! he is fond of books, eureka,i got the idea.. I turned his face towards the lady so that he can catch a glance of book .As soon as my son saw the book in her hand,he stopped crying, leaped forward and started playing with the pages. The lady was sweet enough to let him touch the book, meanwhile I took the bottle out,made milk for him and there it goes in his mouth and thanks god,he started drinking it while still playing with pages of book.I slowly distracted him to one of his toys and mission accomplished. I later apologized to the sweet lady for using her as a ploy but she was really kind. Thanks to her, finally I got all the things under control and I or rather we managed to reach safely and happily to my husband after travelling almost 2000 kms.

This journey was a real first hand insight into how to handle things when travelling alone with a child.

Here are some tips:

1) Don't feel frustrated if nothing goes as planned because rest assured, nothing will go as planned :)

2) Always be ready with the baby's food, milk, diapers, a set of clean clothes, hand towel etc. rather pack a small bag with these things and keep it handy.

3)You cannot keep the kids tied to one place so carry some nice distractions with you,like his favourite toys or anything that keeps him busy. Music was a big helping hand for me.

4) While travelling in plane, take care of feeding the baby while landing and take off to prevent his ears from clogging,otherwise it will be really painful.

5) Keep a check on the baby and your belongings all the time.

6) Keep the luggage as minimal as possible.

7) It will be great if you have a sling to carry the baby. It allows you to have your hands free and things will be lot more easily.

8) Last but not the least, don't mind to ask for help if you are unable to handle.

I can't imagine, how will I manage if I have to travel with my son being 2 or 3 years old as he is a very naughty child. I can just hope to have things under control as always. :)

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

the tips are useful, thanks.Have a nice day!

December 5, 2008 at 6:33 AM  

hi jaanvi...nice to hv you back...i can imagine how exhausted you must hv! from the packing to moving to taking care of the lil one to travelling alone with him...wow! but it's all good now!

thks for the tips as i will be needing them when i go overseas next yr with my daughter :-)

btw, for some personal reasons, i've made my blog a personal one...so pls email me your email add at malenaflower08@yahoo.com and i will send you an invitation to my blog...thks!

December 5, 2008 at 1:11 PM  

Hi Jaanvi, Really nice have you back again. I had forgotten you moving to a new residence.
I take this opportunity to wish you and hubby and baby a happy home and lots of laughter always.
May this home bring you good health and good fortune.

Re travelling, I have a blogger lady friend, she has 4 young kids, one a toddler and she travels everywhere with them, as hubby is a flight captain.
I always tease her about her young kids flying everywhere. Her callsign is 'Jabishah'....very nice young lady. Check her out in my place.

I agree with you, travelling with a young baby can be tough....but good experience, ha ha.
Once again Jaanvi, really a pleasure have you return.
You keep well and have a great weekend, Lee.

December 5, 2008 at 6:47 PM  

Hi June
Hope these tips are useful for you..
i have mailed you,looking forward to accessing ur blog..

Hi Uncle lee
Thanks for such a heartiest welcome. I was so looking forward to coming back.
U too keep well.

December 6, 2008 at 1:29 PM  

U did great! It's no ez feat to plan the packing n moving on ur own. And u handled ur boy vy well during the long journey. Glad to hear that u've settled down in ur new plc. Looking fwd to hearing more updates from u.

December 6, 2008 at 11:17 PM  

you are one brave woman... but again, I guess you didn't quite have a choice eh?

I didn't want to bring my boys on a flight or even long drive to another country, because I could imagine all the possible 'happenings' that could be quite unpleasant.... so till now, they still do not have a passport....

you did fantastic!

December 7, 2008 at 10:01 PM  

You are right Angeline,I didn't have a choice.Some are born brave and some have bravity forced on them and I belong to latter :-)

December 8, 2008 at 11:55 AM  

Welcome back Jaanvi. Well done to you for all the things you did from packing, loaded, flying, settle on your boy alone. Glad now everything is settled.

December 9, 2008 at 9:48 AM  

Jaanvi,

Maybe I missed it....where are you now?

I laughed when I read about your son's need for independence. My son also is the same...don't even want me to hold his hands!

December 10, 2008 at 9:23 AM  

oh...just read you are in Pune. :) Hope to hear more of your adventures...

December 10, 2008 at 9:25 AM  

Hi Ann
Ya I am in Pune...
Ya these independent kids,they actually take us for a ride.. :)

December 10, 2008 at 11:52 AM  

hi jaanvi, my turn now to visit ur blog!

though there were hiccups along the way, i'm glad everything turned out ok in the end and most importantly, the whole family is reunited again! :)

December 10, 2008 at 4:03 PM  

Hi Jaanvi,
I must say you handled your kid very well in the plane. This is really not an easy task and I will certainly keep your handy tips in mind.

Glad you've settled down in your new residence. Take care and btw, thanks for visiting my humble blog. :)

December 11, 2008 at 7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home