Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address to subscribe:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Add to Technorati Favorites



Contact me


Sunday, September 21, 2008
The Big D
What come to your mind when you read the title????
Well no prizes for guessing but its the most important word in the dictionary of moms......... and its..... Discipline.

Sometimes the kids appear too small and sometimes big enough to introduce discipline but I feel its never too early. As soon as you can start disciplining your child,the better a person he will grow into. Most of us don't even know and instinctively introduce discipline like sleeping habits,eating habits. These are nothing but varied forms of training your child.

My 11 month old is very naughty.He knows when I am saying No but still will do those things. I don't know its out of sheer curiosity or the same behavior as adults (i have to do when some one says No :) ) But the good thing is that before doing something forbidden,he looks at me for the reaction and he is smart enough to play on it :)

The crux is that you need to start setting boundaries,differentiating the good from bad, not always but sometimes ignoring the no reason cries and letting the child know your reaction.Its very important and it works. As you understand the child's behavior,he is also working on understanding you are saying and what does it mean. Only the closer family, mom,dad and sometimes grand parents are the ones the children of this age relate to and understand them. So be loving,be tough,be sweet and be the best you can.

Tip: Before setting any boundaries and adhering to them,remember your child is still in the phase of understanding how this world and the things in it work so give relaxation one time or the other... :)

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

oh boy....mine is learning all the tricks from his big sister! really a handful for me. Faint :(

September 21, 2008 at 1:54 PM  

i'm trying to be strict & sweet at the same time...personally i thk my daughter is very much pampered bu her dad and grandparents...so here am i being the most strict one to her!!!
i do agree with you that it's never too young to start disiplining a child!

my daughter too loves to do things i forbid here too...*headache* i guess she still doesnt quite understand what is right and what is wrong too yet...hahaha...

btw rgding the waving and clapping, i just did some repetitions of the act, and she just followed me...sometimes repeat the acts with a significant song :-)

wish my daughter can walk without unsupported at 11 mths old...hopefully she can before her 1st bday!

September 22, 2008 at 8:12 AM  

My youngest who is 2 + has 3 siblings to monkey and copy. I'm sometimes lost about whom I should discipline - The elder for teaching her to jump, climb up the double decker bed, or the youngest for following them :)

September 22, 2008 at 8:12 AM  

I agree.

Loads of people tell me that my son is too young to be disciplined or that it is just a phase.

But phase or not, in all circumstances, kids have to be taught. And I know how the principle that mummy knows best when and how a child should be diciplined.

It's a God given instinct that works very well once we decide to use it fully.

All the best with your little one. It is not an easy job implementing the Big D!

September 22, 2008 at 8:49 AM  

You are so right. I start disciplining my kids when they turn one. Don't wait - or else the problem gets bigger

September 22, 2008 at 1:10 PM  

Congrats Jaanvi,
U are getting into how to deal with your baby. You are right, u need to be loving, tough n sweet. U need to be your child's friend. Keep up the good job:)

September 22, 2008 at 4:44 PM  

Hi Jaanvi, children from 6 months are much smarter that we give them credit for. They know how to make you run or worry, and by a year old experts at knowing how much they can get away with you.
But is fun, as both of you try to outwit each other, ha ha.
So? When you getting another one? Ha ha. Lee.

September 22, 2008 at 8:37 PM  

Hey Contentedmom
I can understand your plight..it must be a big job at hand..

Ya June
same with me. I am strict to my son.She will soon be walking and you will be posting her new pics.. :)

hey Bubbles
good to see you... I can't even think of handling so many of them.. hats off to you...you are doing a wonderful job...

September 23, 2008 at 11:42 AM  

Thanks Ann
I really need it.

Hi Valerie
Thanks for the encouragement

Thanks Linda
Its nice to know that I am on right track.

September 23, 2008 at 11:43 AM  

Hi Lee
Another one!!! Oh god... i already have a naughty child and I can't imagine what my life would be with another one around... sigh...

September 23, 2008 at 11:45 AM  

the word 'NO' used to be my favourite and a powerful word when my son was younger. He is now 4.5 year old. It is easier now as we can reason with him and many times we end up bargaining and negotiating. Have fun with your little one and will drop by for more parenting tops :)

September 23, 2008 at 12:11 PM  

u r right. like Nelson he too likes to do some unwanted things..me sometimes feel pening also

September 24, 2008 at 3:02 AM  

Hi Jaanvi, I have two blogger friends, one has 6 kids, one has 4 daughters, last one a year old baby...and she takes them everywhere too, ha ha...as hubby a pilot.
If free drop in, best regards, Lee.

September 25, 2008 at 2:47 AM  

Yes, I agree it's important to start some kind of discipline from a vy young age. Sometimes we think they don't understand, but how do u explain them looking at u 1st b4 doing some forbidden stuff? In actual fact, they do know wat can n wat cannot be done. But probably they're too young to stop themselves from exploring further. :)

September 25, 2008 at 1:12 PM  

Hi slavemom
I think you r right..we should keep on doing our efforts..

September 26, 2008 at 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home