Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address to subscribe:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Add to Technorati Favorites



Contact me


Thursday, March 12, 2009
Side effects of Amoxicillin
As I wrote in my previous post, Maks got heat stroke. I thought he would be fine soon but the things got worse when we came back home. The reason was his denial to milk due to which he was only eating bit by bit and his whole digestion went for a toss. For the next two days, he was only sleeping and sleeping, not having food at all. It was just horrifying for me.

We took him to the doctor. He requested blood and urine investigations. For infant's blood sample, they prick the needle in the upper part of the wrist taking away the blood drop by drop. At that time it was not only my son that was crying but there was no choice. We had to be strong and get over with it. Investigations revealed a minor viral infection and he prescribed Amoxicillin.

I gave him the first dose and within half an hour, he puked. As the evening approached, he started to show signs of diarrhoea. We immediately went to the doctor and he then told us very simply, "it is quite common". I really felt disappointed as he should have mentioned all these things to us beforehand so that we could have taken these reactions or side effects of amoxicillin easily and would not have panicked.

During the five day course of the amoxicillin, although vomiting subsided but diarrhoea remained as usual. The problem was he was not eating or drinking anything apart from little tit bits and was losing so much of fluid. Thankfully things started turning favorable and he started taking little bit of milk, juice and some food as well. As soon as the course finished, his diarrhoea also subsided and he was improving on the eating front.

Just in case, you have to give your child amoxicillin, keep in mind the following side effects so that you do not panic and can handle the things more effectively:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Skin rash
These are the most predominant side effects of amoxicillin. Try and give Oral Rehydration solution (ORS) to the child and as much water as possible. If he or she shows reluctance to ORS as my son did then adding a little bit of sugar and salt to juice can work well. Give lots of fluids and specially during illness, don't force the child to have anything that he or she does not want to.

All these things worked for my son. Although he did lost some weight, he is now fine, happy and running as usual. It is always difficult to pass through the time of illness and specially when there is a child involved, you seem to lose all your interest. With him again screaming and taking the whole house by storm, I am happy and back to my normal self. I think I like being a chasing, scolding mom :)

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

jaanvi, thank God ur boy is fine now... I would also panic if my child vomits and is losing way too much fluids...

I also dont like how some paeds never mention any side effects from meds/vaccinations. Pretty dishonest huh?

Anyway, glad that he is back to his usual naughty self!

March 12, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

good to know that he's completely fine now. i guess it's more important to know the side-effects of medicines while giving them to kids. those were some good tips that you've provided! :)

March 13, 2009 at 10:06 AM  

@ Kristie

You are right. They don't seem to care.

@DUBU

Ya for sure it is important to know the side effects.

March 13, 2009 at 10:36 AM  

Glad to know Maks fully recovered by now. Dun worry abt the weight loss. He'll gain them back in no time.
Yup, I'd prefer the kids drive me up the wall than being sick n fatigue-looking.

March 13, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Oh my gosh....trying and tiring times!

So so glad Maks is much better now...now to fatten him up!

March 17, 2009 at 5:05 AM  

Oh thank god your boy is fine and recovered now. It's really sad when our little was sick and lost weight. But no worry he will gain back soon.

March 17, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

oh jaanvi...it's really diff to collect a kid's urine (read my latest post in my blog and you will know why!)

rachael was recently diagnosed with viral infection as well...but i guess she wasn't given any antibiotics but only ibuprofen...

she didnt vomit or had diarrhoea (thk God!)

i know how exhausting we can be when they are sick...and yup, you're right...it's better we be a scolding mum then a terrified mum!

March 18, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

Hi Jaanvi, hope he has recovered and running around.
Kids bound to have some of these hiccups, I call them, make parents worry, ha ha.

Part and parcel of having kids.
You keep well and stay easy, best regards, Lee.

March 20, 2009 at 4:53 AM  

Thank god Maks is fine. God bless!

March 20, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

hope he gets well soon, take care

March 23, 2009 at 9:07 AM  

oh my! this was so hard to read... my heart was aching with every word...
I'm so happy that the post didn't end on a 'wait-and-see-what-will-happen' note.
It ended in triumph!
*clap clap clap*
It must have been really hard for you to go through those awful days...
*big hugs*
You survived! Hooray!

March 23, 2009 at 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home