Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address to subscribe:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Add to Technorati Favorites



Contact me


Tuesday, April 28, 2009
MMR: Is your child vaccinated?
It is this time of the year in our region when chicken pox, measles and German measles spread their wings. Recently my hubby went down with rubella measles or German measles as they are popularly called. It sent me into tizzy as Maks is yet not vaccinated for measles. I recently got him the shot for chicken pox and doctor suggested we have to wait till next month for another vaccine.

MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) is a vaccine for preventing these diseases. When we were children, there was no vaccine that's why if we hadn't got any of these autoimmune diseases in childhood, we will catch them now as happened with my hubby. Rubella measles is a mild form of normal measles which is characterized by red rash all over the body accompanied by some cold and cough and sometimes conjunctivitis. The lymph nodes can swell and can give you a little pain in your joints.

The most important part is that it is communicable. It spreads through talking, coughing and sneezing. The person carrying the virus may be spreading it even one week before the appearance of any symptoms and one week after the onset of rash. The rash usually disappears in 3 days, that's why these measles are also known as 3-day measles. The rubella virus has incubation period of 2-3 weeks so you never know that you may be carrying the virus and spreading it without your knowledge.

Children are usually vaccinated with MMR from 15-18 months and then another shot at around 2 years of age. I am already running one month late and keeping my fingers crossed. Although I kept Maks and my hubby confined in their separate rooms (believe me it was next to impossible) but you know children. They do not have a body as resistant as adults. So I am now tiptoeing counting the days to get him vaccinated with MMR and praying that he does not catch it meanwhile.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

oh...I hope he doesn't get it too!!! My son had some side effects after the shots...but that must be nothing compared to the real thing!

Hope hubby also gets well soon! And you, my dear not too tired taking care of 2 babies!

April 29, 2009 at 5:59 AM  

so sorry to know your hubby is down with rubella...
hope maks wont get affected by it...

i've taken my daughter for the jab when she turned 1 yr old...

April 29, 2009 at 7:31 AM  

@Ann

It is just like handling twins.. tough job but now my hubby is alright so I am just worried about Maks.

@Andrewjune

That's good... I am late so just waiting for one month to complete...

April 29, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

oh dear, totally understand your anxiety now. Hope Maks will be spared from the measles. My girl was down with chicken pox last week even though she'd taken the vaccine when she was around 18 months old.

April 29, 2009 at 2:03 PM  

@fussy mum

oh! so vaccine does not have long lasting effect and I thought it was lifetime. How old is she now?

April 29, 2009 at 3:02 PM  

Hi Jaanvi, I guess we all have to be careful nowadays in view of chicken pox, Asian flu, pig flu, whatever.
Especially kids.....
But not to worry, same time if mother has tough genes, baby will also have it.
Keep well and have a great week, Lee.

April 30, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

My girl took her MMR jab and it's a must here. For Chicken pox jab it's optional. But recently read an article and found that the jab actually has 85% effective to prevent the virus. I'm still thinking whether to let my girl take the vaccination or not....

May 4, 2009 at 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home